Sunday, July 27, 2008

10 k

I ran a 10k. My time was 44:15. I got the time I wanted, because I wanted to get below 45 but secretly hoped for 43. I guess a 7.o7 minute mile is pretty good for me but I know I can do better. I still couldn't believe all the women in my age category that beat me:)

I think races are amazing. It is fun to share my love of running with so many other people. That is the thing about being a runner. It doesn't matter what shape or size that you are you can usually become a runner. It isn't like ice skating or football or even aerobics. It is good for the most uncoordinated and the most agile at the same time. I love to see all the different types of people who come across the finish line. After the race everyone was gathered listening to the winners. People had long since come in. I saw a woman crossing the finishline. My view of her was over the heads of the spectators listening to the announcers who did not realize she was there. She was a little heavier set and because of her time she had probably walked the majority of the race. No one payed much attention. I thought about her silent victory. 6 miles isn't easy. It isn't the runner who can run everyday with little resistance that amazes me, it is the "runner" who has to overcome great odds to get out there and start doing it. The one with little kids at home, or overcomes some sort of pain knees or back (thats my husband), or overcomes the embarrassment of running in front of other people.

Two days after the 10k I did another 12 miler. It was probably pushing it but it got out the soreness. I got the first side ache that I have had for a while. It was fun though. It is fun to see the calories that I burn when we do the long runs. It was over 1000. That is a whole day of meals almost. I just have to focus on eating a little more. I am still nursing so that is another extra 500. I am a constant grazer so I think that is good.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Wow, you are super fast! My 10K pace is about a 9 minute mile:). I have done the TOU and St. George, but no marathons this year. I just did a couple of halfs. The super long runs didn't fit into my schedule this year with volleyball and my baby. But, I will be in Logan to see my sister finish (it will take her about 5 hours), so I may or may not see you finish. Good luck!

Super Sistas!

Super Sistas!